Hi and Welcome to Mayville Engineering Company!
We’re so glad you are interested in the Commodity Manager role. This newly created position will be based out of our Corporate Office in Mayville, WI or Byron Center, MI or Defiance, OH. We are currently looking to hire two (2) Commodity Managers. As a team member/owner at MEC, you will lead and drive Purchasing processes through the organization. You will need to ensure products meet quality, delivery and specification requirements at the lowest possible total cost. The Commodity Manager will help identify new suppliers, negotiate price, analyze trends and manager the all supplier relationships.
Why Work for MEC?
We don’t want to brag, but we are honored to be the largest fabricator in the nation for 9 years in a row. In fact, you can find MEC on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: MEC). This would not be possible without the hard work and dedication from our 2,500 plus team members. MEC is employee-owned company meaning that what YOU do on a everyday basis impacts our success as a company. We’re also proud to be a company that is highly involved and actively supports the communities in which our facilities are located.
Founded in 1945, MEC is a manufacturer that provides a broad range of Prototyping, Metal Fabrication, Tube Bending, Machining, Welding, Coating, and Value-Added Assembly services to a variety of markets including Commercial Vehicle, Power Sports & Recreational Vehicles, Agriculture, Construction & Forestry, Military, Mining, Automotive, and Power Generation companies. We continue to have an aggressive growth plan, operating 20 manufacturing facilities that are strategically located near its customers in eight states
A role like this comes with some important responsibilities, some of those responsibilities include:
- Applies skillful negotiations with internal and external suppliers; problem solves and settles disputes; develop win-win resolutions, and creates positive relations with tact, diplomacy, and good judgment.
- Expert knowledge of commodity management including supplier selection, purchasing, performance metrics, and continuous process improvement.
- Continuous Process Improvement: statistical tools and applications (5S, Kanban, JIT, standardization); knowledge of Kaizen methods/techniques.
- Contract Management: Defines the types of contracts/agreements to accomplish commercial goals; applies contracting and contract approval processes to achieve customer results.
- Materials Planning Management: Understands forecasting, demand planning, scheduling and inventory management tools necessary to analyze optimal placement and velocity of materials required in the manufacturing processes.
- Negotiation: Applies sound knowledge of legal ramifications when negotiating with suppliers; apply strategies in the development of agreements to support total business requirements versus lowest price.
- Total Cost Management: knowledgeable on how to gather and develop spend information; analyze spend to identify and exploit savings/cost avoidance opportunities for driving year over year cost reductions.
What Does It Take to Be a Fit for This Role?
- BA/BS degree in business management or supply chain or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years of working experience in purchasing and/or supply chain.
- Experience in manufacturing such as metal fabrication, stamping, heavy truck, construction equipment and/or military industry is preferred.
- The ability to make independent actions, decision making and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively to build relationships at all levels within the organization, including MEC’s executive management team.
- Excellent project management and interpersonal skills. Ability to motivate teams to produce high-level work product within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
- Proficient with using MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Ability and willing to travel up to 50% of the time to other MEC locations and/or suppliers.
Come explore all of the opportunities MEC has to offer. We would love to hear from you! If you are interested in this position at MEC, apply today and let’s chat!